Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MAD about Mondays

As I am trying to broaden my blog horizons, I am going to be linking up with a friend on some weekly posts. The first one is her "Mad about Mondays" series. It is a weekly post that talks about things that make you mad, get under your skin and bother you to your very core.

For my first Mad about Mondays post, I want to tell you about something that has been making me cranky lately. Noise.

Now, I'm not just talking about regular noise. It's not a crying baby in a restaurant or a barking dog at night that's bothering me. Let me tell you about the noise that has been disrupting my life.

I live in a very small town. It's one of those towns that if you blink you miss it. I like it. It's quiet, for the most part. Right across the street from our house, there is a small pizzeria. It's a tiny building that used to be a little convenience store that I walked to when I was younger. I moved away from the area for a while so I have never had the food, but I hear it's good. But mostly what I hear is ridiculously loud live music every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in my living room. We can also hear this music in our bedroom, in the nursery, my mom's bedroom...I think you get the point.

The music begins between 9 and 10 p.m. and goes on until midnight. I'm not opposed to live music that goes until midnight. Over the last 10 years I have been to plenty of loud concerts, but they were in cities and there were no neighborhoods anywhere nearby. I am, however, opposed to live music that goes until midnight in a small town surrounded by houses and apartments next door. I sit on my couch with my 3 month old and I hear "Woooo"; sounds only made by drunken patrons who are outside. I can hear rim shots and lyrics to songs that I was not aware existed.

My husband has called the police twice to complain of the noise and we received the message "We will send someone out." It went nowhere. So last week I took it upon myself to notify the Board of Supervisors and the Sheriff. The restaurant/bar has been given a warning according to the county noise ordinance. To me this means, next weekend they better be quiet or the sheriff will be hearing from me once again.

So that, my friends and readers, is what makes me mad. Loud, inappropriate noise.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for taking matters into your own hands. Businesses should be mindful of the people who live near their establishments. If they wanted to operate a restaurant where they were free to play loud music into the late night time hours, they should have planned for a better (non-residential) location.

    Also, thanks for linking up with me! Whoo!

    ReplyDelete