Thursday, September 5, 2013

Healthy choices

Since I really started trying to change how I eat, there are basically trades I make. I wanted to not give tips because I'm no expert, but just tell you a little about what helps me.

My family has always eaten a lot of chicken which is good because it's lean meat. When we do eat red meat it is usually ground beef in things like casseroles, tacos, hamburgers. So one trade we are making is ground turkey instead of ground beef. When we make tacos, I simply brown the ground beef and mix with the seasoning and voila! Turkey tacos. You can use light sour cream or even healthier plain yogurt. I was iffy on the plain yogurt, but it really tastes good.

Secondly, I drink a lot of water. Now that I gave up soda, the only other thing I drink is a cup or two of coffee in the morning. I use light or sugar free creamer too. Giving up soda just makes me feel better and honestly gives me more energy.

I have never been a big fan of wheat bread, but I'm learning to like it more. I am a lover of breads and bread is a carbohydrate and you really shouldn't have much. So when I do, I try to have wheat
bread.

I like potato chips, but I can live without them and for the most part don't crave them. When I do, I eat the baked ones. They are actually really yummy.

My snacks are becoming raw veggies, fruit and yogurt instead of potato chips, chocolate and ice cream. I don't let myself get too hungry. I eat a snack.

Some people say you should completely cut out things like sweets. Like I said I'm no expert but I believe you can have stuff every now and then. There are also better choices if you have a sweet tooth. I have a few recipes for healthier desserts that I enjoy. And once in a while, like a couple of weekends ago, I actually had some peach cobbler with ice cream. GASP! It won't kill you and totally ruin your diet.

I have only lost a pound so far. But I feel better about the choices I make. I don't eat a giant Wendy's hamburger and then feel like a fat disgusting pig. I eat a giant salad with grilled chicken and feel great. And I love salad!

Small changes can make big differences in the way you feel and hopefully eventually the way my body looks. I won't lie and say I'm working out because I'm not. But that is next. Things are harder with a little one who sometimes won't nap, but I'll get it done.

I'm not only doing this for me and my health, but as Cooper gets older I want him to make good food choices. I'm not going to deprive him of birthday cake and ice cream, but I want him to like vegetables and fruit. I want him to eat better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment